No matter which of the makeup stain removal techniques you decide to use after reading our guide, you will need to be well versed in these 12 important pointers. They potentially apply to any of the specific techniques, including hairspray, lipstick, mascara and nail polish.
The 12 Commandments of Makeup Stain Removal
- Always read the cleaning and care label first! Ensure that the item is indeed washable. If not, take it to the dry cleaners as directed.
- Oils come out with degreasers.
- Waxes are removed with solvents.
- Pigments may require oxidizers and detergents to complete cleaning after degreaser and solvents have done their job.
- Rubbing should generally be avoided. It’s too vigorous and may actually set the stain.
- Blotting and dabbing are your fearless friends in stain removal.
- Exercise patience during the blotting, dabbing and cleaning process. Haste will very likely cause permanent damage.
- Whenever possible, test an inconspicuous area before applying the treatment to the entire stain. You can try it first on just the fabric to see how it reacts. Then try it on an area of the stain that is undetectable. Finally, put it to work on the visible affected area.
- If normal care instructions for the item include drying in a clothes dryer, do not place it in the dryer until it is completely clean. Typically the heat of a dryer will permanently set stains.
- Diligently check pockets for beauty products before washing a teenager’s clothing. Nothing destroys a whole load of laundry quite like a tube of lipstick.
- It is usually best to work the stains from the outside in so as not to spread them further.
- When instructed to perform the blotting or swiping process on a clean towel, flip the stain downward so that it can transfer to the towel. Also move it around to a clean part of the towel frequently. You may also need to flip it over repeatedly so that the stain can be transferred from both sides.
Now read Part 3: How to remove hairspray from your walls. Don’t forget to leave a comment here telling us the steadfast rules you follow to ensure makeup doesn’t destroy things in your home!